There are times when you feel like the garage door is not moving smoothly like it used to. You are pushing the buttons of the opener and the light keeps flashing on and off. It shows that nothing is wrong with the opener but with the garage door itself. Maybe the spring has broken and you need to focus on the repairing technique now. Make sure to learn ways to repair overhead garage door cables and spring. You better do it with safety so that you don’t wind up in emergency rooms. Ask experts for the measures of garage door spring repair and steps, before moving on with it on your own.
The tools that you need for it:
There are certain major tools you need handy while working on the spring and cable repair for the garage doors. Some of those options are safety glasses, rags, locking pliers, leather gloves, hammer, cordless drill, clamps, and an adjustable wrench. You will also need the winding bars, wrench sets, and socket or ratchet sets as well. You need to visit your local hardware store for these items or can just purchase these tools from the nearby online stores.
The step by step procedure:
If you are well-aware of the steps to proceed further and work on spring or cable repair for the garage door, then you won’t need help from experts to cover the same for you. Let’s get to the points first.
- At first, you need to clamp the door to the track. You can use the plier to do the same.
- Now, with the help of the winding bar, you get to loosen out the unbroken spring.
- Using two winding bars, you have to start unwinding the unbroken spring from the garage door.
- As the next step, you have to disconnect springs from the centre bracket. Make sure to remove the bolts and nuts with caution.
- Now, using locking pliers, you have to secure the torsion tube.
- Next step, you have to remove the old spring. Be sure to slide the torsion tube over.
- It is time now to buy the replacement parts only after calculating the wire diameter.
- Now, you have to install the left spring. Be sure to reassemble and then hang on the bearing bracket.
- You now have to install a new centre bearing. Connect your stationary coins to the bracket then.
- Replace bottom brackets, lift cables, and rollers. Deal with rust parts now.
- Now, you need to thread the cables and then tighten up the drums when the steps are taken care of.
- It is time to wind the garage door based tension spring. For that, follow the recommendations made by spring suppliers.
- Now, with the help of a winding bar, start stretching the springs.
- As the last step, lubricate the spring. For that, use only the garage door specified lubricant.
These steps will actually help you with garage door spring repair and replacement as well.