A wiper or hydraulic scraper prevents hydraulic dust contamination that could damage wear rings, rod joints and other components. The main cause of contamination is a failure and premature seal failure within a hydraulic system. As the rods of the piston retracts, dust and other particles are transported on the surface. The washing lip of the Metal Wiper seals keeps these particles from damaging the screen surface outside of the system.
The wiper seal is the most underrated seal in the hydraulic cylinder with regards to its importance. Special consideration must be paid to the surrounding environment and service conditions in the selection of the sprinkler. Different screen profiles are available in wipers with both single and double lip seals. Depending on the screen profile and design specifications wiper seal for hydraulic cylinder develops seal design for use in the toughest of environments.
Some Wiper seals have the secondary lip used to collect oil from the main screen. Any binding contamination on the steel surface may be removed by the secondary lip. These types of wiper seal for hydraulic cylinder are often referred to as double-edged wipers.
It is important to take environmental conditions into account when selecting the right material for your wiper seal. PU soft wiper seals can supply a range of interference-fitting multi-step wiper screens. This provides a precise shutdown and a reliable seal to protect the residual oil film from dirt and dust while still allowing it to flow back. They are supplied in a range of plastic materials for rubber and engineering that are specifically selected for their working conditions.
There are some factors you should consider before finalising your Metal Wiper seals. We have compiled the list for the same.
- The maximum shaft speed is based on the shaft finish, rush, bore and spring concentration, fluid type and wiper seal for hydraulic cylinder type.
- The temperature range shall not exceed that of the screen elastomer for the mechanism in which the screen is installed.
- Most traditional PU soft wiper seals have been designed to withstand very low pressure (approximately 8 PSI or less). Pressure relief is necessary if further internal pressure is present or anticipated.
- The most effective wiper seal for hydraulic cylinder can be reached with maximum shaft surface finishes. The best results of sealing concentric end marks are obtained with polished or ground shafts. If you have to use spiralling shafts, they should lead when the shaft rotates to the fluid.
- The wear is concentrated on one side of the sticking lip when the middle of the bore and shaft is not aligned. In such cases, you can go for Double edged Metal Wiper Seals
- When close shaft and boring tolerances are present, the best seal performance can be achieved. Shaft concentration, end result and vibration are other factors.
- The run-out should be kept as low as possible. Center movement is usually caused by wobble-bearing. This problem is compounded in combination with misalignment. The installation of flexible PU soft wiper seals connectors cannot correct or compensate for misalignment, in opposition to the popular belief and common practice.
These are some primary factors you should consider while choosing your wiper seal for hydraulic cylinder. This will reduce the risk of misalignment in your machine.