When we feed the kids, some of the food particles stuck in between the teeth developing a sticky layer known as plaque. The plaque gives birth to bacteria that feed on the sugar of the food item that kids consume. Once the bacteria begin feeding, these start producing acids. Therefore, the acid attacks the teeth resulting in damage to the enamel that leads to tooth decay. In this case, visiting a pediatric dentist Jacksonville Beach can help you to get rid of the issues.
Some of the main reasons for tooth decay are:
- Food and drink habits: Tooth decay in kids is the result of changing food habits, especially due to the sugar intake in the food items and drinks. These can cause cavities and therefore these result in tooth decay.
- Bedtime feeding: If you feed your kid milk, juice or some other sugar-contained liquids at night, these liquids often sit on the teeth for several hours, therefore, these result in tooth decay.
- Medical conditions: There are a number of medical issues that increase the risk of cavities. Chronic allergy is one such issue when the kids start breathing from mouth. And this interferes with the saliva flow. And the scope of getting cavities increases while the flow of saliva reduces.
- Fluoride deficiency: This is a natural mineral type that helps to avoid cavities and therefore it reverses the effect of tooth decay. But fluoride deficiency can result in tooth damage.
How to prevent tooth decay effectively?
No matter which symptoms of tooth decay your kid faces, you must visit the Jacksonville pediatric dental office immediately to get rid of the issue. Besides, you should follow the below-mentioned methods to prevent tooth decay in kids.
- With regular brushing, it is possible to decrease the generation of germs and plaque in the mouth. This can decrease the risk of cavities. So, you must ask your kid to brush for at least two times a day, at bedtime and in the morning.
- You must clean the mouth of your kid by wiping it with a smooth and clean cloth. And after the development of teeth, brush teeth regularly by using fluoride toothpaste and soft baby toothbrush.
- According to the best pediatric dentistry in Jacksonville Beach, you must not give liquids to your kid to drink for long periods in a bottle or in a sippy cup. Rather, give your kids water instead of any sugary drinks.
- Don’t share a spoon with your kid. Kids don’t have any bacteria in their mouth from birth. But it can be transferred inadvertently to them with the share of a spoon.
- Keep control of all the sugary food items that your kid consumes daily like candies, chips, fruit rolls, jellies, cookies, etc. As these food items can be a great threat in case the kids consume in excess.
- Consult the pediatric dentist on a regular basis to know about the teeth condition of your kid. This would prevent the risk of infections.