Masking tape is also called a painter’s tape as it is a pressure-sensitive tape made of easy to tear and thin paper. It is an easily released adhesive sensitive to pressure. It comes in various widths. Masking tape is used mainly during paintings to mask the areas which need to be painted.
The key element to its usefulness is its adhesive nature which allows the tape to get easily removed without damaging the surface or leaving any residue over which it had been applied. The tape comes in different strengths, rated on the basis of a 100 scale depending on the adhesive strength. Most of the painting operations require the tape of 50 ranges. The household tape is made with even weak paper and an adhesive of lower grade.
Use of masking tape
The original use of this tape is to mask it over the areas which are not required to be painted. For this purpose, a special grade tape is required. With such tape very clear and neat lines are produced, otherwise, the paint will bleed under the edges of the tape and produce varied or frizzy lines. Masking tape is also used as long strips in large panes of glass in cases where glass may not get shattered, harming the one in the vicinity.
- Label school and food supplies: you need not buy any label or fancy machine which makes them. Using masking tapes instead of containers having food mark, freezer bags or sandwich bags in the freezer or refrigerator is really an inexpensive way. You may use masking tape to mark the lunchboxes of your kids or the supplies which you think may go missing.
- Make a road for toy cars: make a highway for the little toy cars with which the children will love to play. Tape up two strips of the masking tape on the tabletop or the floor. Add some handmade cardboard signboards like that and stop. Guiding a toy car over the taped road gives much more than just being a fun activity. This will improve the motor skills of the child which is going to help him in the coming future such as in writing.
- Reusing vacuum cleaning bag: save chunks of money by reusing the vacuum cleaning bag twice. When the bag gets full, don’t empty it in the way you usually do, rather cut a slit in the middle of the back. After the bag is emptied, hold up the edges together and seal them using masking tape. The bag is now ready to get used up again.
- Hanging party steamers: make use of the masking tape instead of transparent tape to put up balloons and streamers for the nest party. No residue will be left by the masking tape on the wall as done by the transparent tapes. Don’t forget to remove off the tape within a day or two otherwise, the paint will come out along with the tape.
- Fixing a broken umbrella: if the rib of your umbrella is broken by the wind, it is now easy to fix with the help of the masking tape. Use the masking tape and a lengthy wire from a coat hanger to fix up the splint.