What does this term mean and how is it used in printing? Sublimation is a process of transferring the image or pattern on any object. It has been gaining popularity over time. It is a straightforward procedure where you need to keep in mind some fundamental steps, and you will get a vivid print of the image on your shirt, paper, or the material you want.
The principle used in printing with sublimation paper:
Ink transfer is used to print the image. It is achieved through the heating. While at high temperature the ink gets converted into a gas which is absorbed by the pores of the material that opens up. These pores gradually close with the falling temperature and hence trapping the ink inside and thus forming a smooth image on the article.
Now you know what the term means, comes the question what are the dos and don’ts that you need to follow for getting the perfect print? Here are some of them listed so that you get the desired result:
- Ensure that you are using the right quality of sublimation paper as different printers and images need specific types.
- To get the image correct, make sure you flip the image so that you don’t get a mirror image.
- Make sure you are using the sublimation ink as they are specially made for the transfer of the image via the sublimation paper.
- Store the sublimation paper stored in sealed plastic.
- Avoid printing on the page’s dull white side as the colors won’t appear that vivid and attractive there.
- Be careful with the material that you are printing on. It works the best on the polyester clothes or the material coated with the polyester. The reason is that the ink binds itself excellently with the polyester material. In the case of others, the ink does bind, but the color of the image is not as vibrant and bright.
- Don’t iron directly on the sublimation paper.
- Don’t use the sublimation paper with the manufacture date of more than two years before.
Washing instructions of material printed with sublimation technique:
- Always use cold water for washing.
- Prior to washing, shift the garment inside outward.
- Use only mild detergents.
- Don’t apply bleach.
- Don’t leave it in the washer for long as it could result in bleeding of color.
- Make sure to use a low temperature for drying.
Advantages of sublimation technique over heat transfer:
- The printed image is permanent, or you can say that the picture becomes a part of the material.
- The image produced is smooth which is not in the heat transfer method. The outline of the image can be felt on the heat transferred image.
- The print is highly durable.
- It does not only work on a specific surface. The sublimation process can be used on various polyester coated materials like mugs, mousepads, puzzles, etc.
The sublimation printing technology is becoming quite popular these days due to its excellent results and hassle-free printing with the sublimation paper. The prices have also come down to an affordable range.