Lawn laying is an effective measure to add some green and consequently enable one to alleviate their lawns’ look. It makes the gardens, as well as your homes, appear more aesthetically pleasing. Lawn laying acts as a ladder that enables you to have a shortcut to well-kept lawns. These are pre-grown grass rolls that are placed over your property’s soils and allowed to take root there. However, there is a degree of preparation that is required towards getting everything set for lawn laying.
Preparation Measures To Employ Before Lawn Laying:
- The step one must take is to use an instrument similar to a fork or rotavator to plough the soil adequately as well as to get rid of any disturbing stones, roots or large debris. To make sure to undertake a gap period wherein, allow the soil to rest and take steps to remove any weed growth that might occur during that time. The goal is to rid the soil of any foreign material that would pose a hindrance to the turf laying process.
- Engage in the process of digging and levelling by raking to take out any unwanted material that might surface during this process. It is paramount to note that this process must be undertaken before the application of topsoil.
- Now, before the final step to prepare, all you need to do is walk over the soil. Yes, this walking process is equated to treading, i.e. it makes the ground without actually reducing its density. Before doing this, ensure that the ground is dry, then get a couple of friends and walk away.
- This is the last step wherein you need to rake the soil once more. Re-raking the soil acts as a cross-checking measure and allows it to grow softer. If you choose to invest in a pre-lawn laying fertiliser, this would be the right time to use it. Add this and then raking the soil lightly and over the top layer. Thus, making our soil ready for turf to be laid over it.
Some of the requisite tools you’ll need as part of the lawn laying process are gardening gloves, boots, turf cutting machine or blade, wheelbarrow, fork or rotavator, a landscaping rake, laying boards, an edge-trimmer, hose, and a trusty broom.
The Step To An Effective Lawn Laying Process:
- Begin with the outmost layer, with the first strip being laid side by side with a minimal overlap along their boundaries. Exert just enough weight over these to ensure proper coverage but take a step to avoid crushing the soil. Turf that overrides the boundaries can be trimmed off at the end of the process.
- Carry on with the process of laying the strips alongside each other until you’ve covered the entire row. Then work your way to the next row.
- In this process, do not cause harm or damage to the previously laid turf. In such cases, you either use planks to step on or engage in the staggering process alongside every row.
- Keep doing this, and towards the end of each row, thrust the turf together to join them. However, prevention measures must be taken to ensure that the layer doesn’t stretch too much.
- After you finish this application, you are then free to crop off any protruding or untidy material that is jutting out. This process is implemented with the use of a sharp knife or a wooden saw. But bear in mind the turf might still be raw, so use planks to walk over them.
- Find the right balance of water that your newly laid lawn will require. It must be just enough to pierce through the soil but not too much that would make it into a mud slush.
There you have it, the final result of your lawn laying. To have to wait for the turf to take root, and then it will be like it was always there. You can water it and maintain it just like a naturally grown lawn to always keep your garden looking lush and beautiful.